Brainstorming 4 Us News

Arthur Moss III

  • 19 June 2009
  • Author: Lisa Moss
  • Number of views: 3748

On August 6, 2005, Arthur Moss III, left home to join a group of nine friends heading to Sturgis, South Dakota, to fulfill a lifelong dream.  By the time he got to Utah, that dream had turned into a nightmare.  Riding the 1999 Honda Shadow Aero he had customized himself, Moss and others were completing a pass, when suddenly, with no signal, a Chevy truck towing a horse trailer traveling in front of the group of motorcyclists, turned left in front of them, causing the drivers to scatter around to avoid collision.  Moss was forced head-on into the horse trailer, at approximately 40MPH.

Kevin Santos' Personal Story

  • 23 March 2009
  • Author: Lisa Moss
  • Number of views: 3128

The Story of a Minor Who Had So Much

The day was July 19th, 2004, at about 4:20 in the evening, the summer before my senior year in high school; I was on my way home from work, working at my dream in a law office the day of my accident. The office personnel had already informed me that I would be welcome to join their firm once I did obtain my law degree, which would, granted, be many years in the future. But still, to already have job security at the age of 17. How many kids can say that?

Tom Erwwine

  • 22 March 2009
  • Author: Lisa Moss
  • Number of views: 3225

On May 20, 2013, I was on a well-deserved vacation riding my motorcycle with a group of friends when my accident occurred. I was on a twisty desert road in Arizona when somehow I lost control and crashed. My bike left the road and a tree branch impacted with my neck. My motorcycle flipped and I was catapulted forward. My list of injuries was extensive: Double broken right leg (tibia/fibula), broken right arm, collapsed lungs, massive rotator cuff tears in both shoulders, shattered larynx, and brain bleeding (despite having a good helmet on). The Lord must have had more work for me to do, as the first people who happened on the scene were a doctor, an EMT, and a nurse.  I was told I died a couple times at the scene. I was airlifted to St. George Utah, which not being a Level I Trauma center, could only stabilize me and airlift me to Las Vegas. I was in a coma, had a feeding tube and a tracheostomy.

I spent 2 weeks in ICU in Vegas before I was transported by plane to St Jude in Fullerton.  A week later in Fullerton is the first memory I have since the accident. The Dr’s had told my wife not to expect me to eat, talk, or walk again (and my neck injury is usually 95% fatal), and were unsure how well my brain would work. I was told that while in the hospital, I did not know what decade it was, who my family was, or even my pets. This put a tremendous strain on my wife, as we have on a daughter who has a brain injury and my oldest daughter not knowing if her dad would live or die, and might also have permanent brain damage. Luckily, we were friends with Lisa Moss and she helped my family through this (and with the help of the Brainstorming4Us family). After 2 weeks in Fullerton, I was transported to Care Meridian Rehab center where I started my recovery.   I went through speech and physical therapy session, and slowly my memory (and sense of humor) returned. I spent about 6 weeks in rehab before going home.  I actually returned to my job as a Disney computer programmer in just 5 ½ months. I still suffer permanent damage to my body and brain, but if you met me, you’d only notice the scar and dent in my neck and my raspy voice. My attitude was, and still is, you get hurt, you recover, and you go on.  You do the best you can with what you have. 

The Forker Project

  • 21 March 2009
  • Author: Lisa Moss
  • Number of views: 3636

Valerie Forker was devastated when her 20-year-old son, Jeff, suffered a severe traumatic brain injury in a car accident four years ago. In an instant, Jeff Forker went from an independent young man with the world in front of him to one who required care 24 hours a day, seven days a week — possibly for the rest of his life.

Chris Thornhill

  • 20 March 2009
  • Author: Lisa Moss
  • Number of views: 2948

A Thankful Young man

My name is Chris Thornhill and I am 20 years old. When I was 18, three months after I graduated from high school with a 4.0 GPA, I got a brain booboo. I was driving to fast and took out a light post. I was in a coma for 10 days and in the hospital for 2 months. I had a severe brain injury, I broke my right arm, four right ribs, collar bone, leg, and fractured my pelvis. I also had severe lung contusions.